UIComponent in frame 2 of swf?

glasheen56
I just tried, for the first time, the trick where you use -frame to put assets in frame 3 of a swf.  It worked, except that the swf file size grew so large it defeated the purpose of loading the assets late.

I did a size report and saw that frame 2 now includes a lot of classes it didn't need before, like UIComponent, and these are bloating the swf.  If I remove frame 3, these extra classes go away.

1. Anyone have an idea why this is happening?  I'm stumped.  I tried using -externs to remove UIComponent from the swf but it had no effect.

2. If I abandon the frame 3 approach and use an assets module instead, will I run into a similar problem?

Thanks

Re: UIComponent in frame 2 of swf?

Alex Harui
In a Flex SWF, UIComponent is always in frame 2.

Also, the app should start to run when frame 2 loads while the other frames stream in.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.
http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: UIComponent in frame 2 of swf?

glasheen56
Thanks for replying Alex!

When I don't use frame 3, the size report says there's no UIComponent in the Flex swf.  I assume it's because I'm using RSL's.  IUIComponent is there, but it's very small.

Regarding the swf size, when I use frame 3, frame 2 alone is bigger than the whole swf was without frame 3.  So unless I can sort this out, I gain nothing from using frame 3.

Could it be that -frame doesn't play nice with RSL's?  It looks like it's merging all the framework classes into the swf (in frame 2) when I use frame 3, instead of treating them as RSL's.

I'm using Flex 4.6.

--- In [hidden email], Alex Harui <aharui@...> wrote:

> In a Flex SWF, UIComponent is always in frame 2.
>
> Also, the app should start to run when frame 2 loads while the other frames stream in.
>

> On 3/29/13 6:52 AM, "glasheen56" <glasheen@...> wrote:
>

> I just tried, for the first time, the trick where you use -frame to put assets in frame 3 of a swf.  It worked, except that the swf file size grew so large it defeated the purpose of loading the assets late.
>
> I did a size report and saw that frame 2 now includes a lot of classes it didn't need before, like UIComponent, and these are bloating the swf.  If I remove frame 3, these extra classes go away.
>
> 1. Anyone have an idea why this is happening?  I'm stumped.  I tried using -externs to remove UIComponent from the swf but it had no effect.
>
> 2. If I abandon the frame 3 approach and use an assets module instead, will I run into a similar problem?
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Alex Harui
> Flex SDK Team
> Adobe Systems, Inc.
> http://blogs.adobe.com/aharui

Re: UIComponent in frame 2 of swf?

Alex Harui
Yeah, it is possible that the –frame option doesn’t work with RSLs.  I’m not sure how much testing the –frame option got.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team
Adobe Systems, Inc.