UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Dave Glasser-2
I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Alex Harui
What version of Flex SDK?  This sounds like an old bug.

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: [flexcoders] UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Dave Glasser-2
It's 4.6.0.23201B. One of the last Adobe releases.

________________________________
What version of Flex SDK?  This sounds like an old bug.
From:  Dave Glasser <[hidden email]>
Date:  Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To:  "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Try turning off the recycler: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FlashPlatform/reference/actionscript/3/flashx/textLayout/compose/TextLineRecycler.html

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 9:16 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Dave Glasser-2
Dude, you're amazing. That worked like a charm. I owe you one.

________________________________

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Alex Harui
Well I'd run into this before but I thought we'd fixed all cases (and I couldn't find the old bug report).  Not having the recycler might slow down your app a bit.  If you have a small test case, please file a bug at issues.apache.org/jira under the Flex project there.

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:49 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>

I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Dave Glasser-2
The odd thing is, the bug wouldn't manifest in a small test app that I wrote for the purpose of testing possible workarounds. In that app, the text displayed correctly every single time.

I just did some checking, and this behavior wasn't observed (although it might have been happening unobserved) until after we began compiling the app with this:

mx|Label {
    textFieldClass:ClassReference("mx.core.UIFTETextField");
}

That was needed to get Arabic text rendering properly. That means that the number of UIFTETextFields that the app was creating had increased dramatically. I put some tracing code in FTETextField.createTextLinesFromTextBlock() and noticed that it was getting called numerous times in the main app, prior to where the bug occurred, but not so much in the small app prior to where the bug should have occurred. It makes sense that the recycler was the culprit. In the main app the pool of recycled TextLines was probably large, whereas in the small app it might have been empty, therefore no recycling was occurring to gum things up.

I'm thinking now of having a switch in the app that the small (but important) fraction of our Arabic-speaking users could use that would, at runtime rather than compile time, set the textFieldClass style of mx.controls.Label to UIFTETextField and disable TextLine recycling, while for everyone else, the old textFieldClass and TextLine recycling would be used. Do you see any potential problems with that approach?

________________________________
From:  Dave Glasser <[hidden email]>
Date:  Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:49 AM
To:  "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 8:57 AM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

I have a UIFTETextField that is displaying a line of text 115 characters long. I set its width to 300 with wordwrap enabled, and it wraps the text into 3 lines. The weird thing is that any or all of the lines may be invisible when this object is displayed. Sometimes you'll see the first and third lines with a blank line between them, other times maybe two blank lines followed by the visible third line, other times all three are blank.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this? I checked the bug tracker for UIFTETextField and its parent class, FTETextField, and didn't find any bug report on this.

Re: UIFTETextField - randomly disappearing lines

Alex Harui
Yeah, a test case would need UIFTETextField and more than one instance of it in order to fool the recycler.  It might require common text or textflow snippets.  I don't remember how the recycler remembers what can be recycled.

It is fine to switch the text display widget at runtime, but realize that means more testing, slightly different glyph positions, and different performance and memory utilization.

-Alex

From: Dave Glasser <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2013 10:49 AM
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>