Using Flex and Vb.Net

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using Flex and Vb.Net

Omotola Anjorin-2
Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.

Thanks

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Tracy Spratt-2
Yes, heavily.

Now, you do not really "develop flex apps with vb.net".  There are several ways to use the two environments together, however.

What do you want to do?

Tracy Spratt

--- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
>
> Thanks
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Angelo Anolin
In reply to this post by Omotola Anjorin-2
You can use Flex for the UI (front-end) and the server side processing using VB.Net. Your VB.Net comes to the picture as web/http services.

Although I only began doing the same a few months back, I must say that it's darn pretty good rather than creating a web app using static HTML/ASP.Net only.

Angelo






________________________________
From: shot2flow <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 0:26:38
Subject: [flexcoders] Using Flex and Vb.Net

 
Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.

Thanks


   


     
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Omotola Anjorin-2

Cool Angelo,

I really need to get goin cus my company uses ASP.Net/VB.Net, but since i use (and love) flex i want to introduce the beauty of flex apps while leverage VB.Net as i dare not suggest Coldfusion.

Can you please send me like an "hello world" example?

Thanks.

With regards.

Tola
--- In [hidden email], Angelo Anolin <angelo_anolin@...> wrote:

>
> You can use Flex for the UI (front-end) and the server side processing using VB.Net. Your VB.Net comes to the picture as web/http services.
>
> Although I only began doing the same a few months back, I must say that it's darn pretty good rather than creating a web app using static HTML/ASP.Net only.
>
> Angelo
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: shot2flow <shot2flow@...>
> To: [hidden email]
> Sent: Wednesday, 28 October, 2009 0:26:38
> Subject: [flexcoders] Using Flex and Vb.Net
>
>  
> Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
>
> Thanks
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Omotola Anjorin-2
In reply to this post by Tracy Spratt-2
Tracy,

What do yo mean by several ways and "you don't really develop flex apps with vb.net"

My company develop web apps using Asp.net/vb.net. I just joined and i use flex and coldfusion, but since i cant introduce CF. I intend to still leverage flex with vb.net.

For instance.. i need to work on an asp.net that can generate an excel data from db using vb.net.

I would like to use flex for the UI and vb.net for the logic.

I have a basic knowlegde of vb.net so i am sure to be fine.

Any tip or help?


Regards.

--- In [hidden email], "Tracy" <tracy@...> wrote:

>
> Yes, heavily.
>
> Now, you do not really "develop flex apps with vb.net".  There are several ways to use the two environments together, however.
>
> What do you want to do?
>
> Tracy Spratt
>
> --- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@> wrote:
> >
> > Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

turbo_vb
In reply to this post by Omotola Anjorin-2

You might want to check out WebOrb
<http://www.themidnightcoders.com/products/weborb-for-net/overview.html>

-TH

  --- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the
two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so
i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
>
> Thanks
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

re: Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Wally Kolcz
In reply to this post by Omotola Anjorin-2
Right now I am using WebORB.NET and it does all the .NET for me well. It is awesome.

I am a CF developer, by trade, but this allows me to have a .NET back end and be able to modify as I need.

----------------------------------------
From: "turbo_vb" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2009 11:14 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: [flexcoders] Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

You might want to check out WebOrb

-TH

 --- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
>
> Thanks
>



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

Tracy Spratt-2
In reply to this post by Omotola Anjorin-2
The most common architecture is to do as you say and use Flex for the UI and .net for the logic/integration tier.  You can alss use asp.net to host, deliver and control swfs, and you can even host a Flex app in a browser control.

You develop Flex apps by writing mxml and as code and compiling it into a SWF, and you don't do any of that with dot.net.  I think you know that but needed to be sure.

Certainly the simplest integration (on both ends) is to use HTTPService.  You can get a "hello world" level example working in the time you can download an install WebOrb.  This puts you in full control of the xml.

WebService, because it wraps data in SOAP to facilitate third party usage, is a bit more complicated to work with.  Use WebService if there is any chance you will need to make the buisiness logic available to an anonymous third party.

Use WebOrb or someting like it if your business tier object structure is also suitable for your client side object structure, or if you can and want to make it that way.  It will be more complicated initially, but could be a good long term choice.  It is also probably the fastest transport protocol, but data transport is often not the bottleneck in a Fles app.

Tracy

--- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@...> wrote:

>
> Tracy,
>
> What do yo mean by several ways and "you don't really develop flex apps with vb.net"
>
> My company develop web apps using Asp.net/vb.net. I just joined and i use flex and coldfusion, but since i cant introduce CF. I intend to still leverage flex with vb.net.
>
> For instance.. i need to work on an asp.net that can generate an excel data from db using vb.net.
>
> I would like to use flex for the UI and vb.net for the logic.
>
> I have a basic knowlegde of vb.net so i am sure to be fine.
>
> Any tip or help?
>
>
> Regards.
>
> --- In [hidden email], "Tracy" <tracy@> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, heavily.
> >
> > Now, you do not really "develop flex apps with vb.net".  There are several ways to use the two environments together, however.
> >
> > What do you want to do?
> >
> > Tracy Spratt
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], "shot2flow" <shot2flow@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Has anyone worked with Flex and VB.Net. Please i am interested in the two. I presently use flex and coldfusion, but my company used vb.net so i am wondering how to develop flex apps with vb.net.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> >
>


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Using Flex and Vb.Net

mima_zr
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
In reply to this post by Omotola Anjorin-2
Hey there, Could you please help me with that, i'm new at this, any recommandations or tutorials would be great, thank you.