WebDAV and Flex - Any sample code or opensource widgets available . . ?

WebDAV and Flex - Any sample code or opensource widgets available . . ?

marty_martian
I have searched through the archives for this user group but see very
little discussion on WebDAV with Flex. It looks like some folks have
been trying to do it as far back as 2006 but no samples or pointers to
samples or open source widgets have been posted.

Related to this, can anyone share:

  - samples
  - pointers to samples
  - open source widgets

Most Grateful,

Christopher

RE: WebDAV and Flex - Any sample code or opensource widgets available . . ?

Seth Hodgson
Unfortunately, the Player currently limits the set of allowed HTTP methods to just GET and POST.

This means that PUT, DELETE, HEAD, etc. as well as all the WebDAV extension methods are not allowed.

Anyone who cares about this area should vote for this bug: https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-12200
And perhaps add a new bug specifically regarding WebDAV, although support for that would definitely be lower priority.

As a workaround for core HTTP methods, you could use the proxy service in BlazeDS or LCDS which does supports all the core methods (mod PUT apparently - not sure why that one's not included, possibly a doc error). We use HTTPClient internally in the proxy service, and this library doesn't support WebDAV extension methods so you'd still be out of luck with WebDAV integration there as well.

Best,
Seth

Christopher

Re: WebDAV and Flex - Any sample code or opensource widgets available . . ?

Stephen More
How exactly do you envision WebDAV being used with flash ?

Couldn't one use flash.net.Socket to connect to port 80 and
communicate using the WebDAV protocol ?

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 2:10 PM, Seth Hodgson <shodg.....> wrote:

> Unfortunately, the Player currently limits the set of allowed HTTP methods
> to just GET and POST.
>
> This means that PUT, DELETE, HEAD, etc. as well as all the WebDAV extension
> methods are not allowed.
>
> Anyone who cares about this area should vote for this bug:
> https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/SDK-12200
> And perhaps add a new bug specifically regarding WebDAV, although support
> for that would definitely be lower priority.
>
> As a workaround for core HTTP methods, you could use the proxy service in
> BlazeDS or LCDS which does supports all the core methods (mod PUT apparently
> - not sure why that one's not included, possibly a doc error). We use
> HTTPClient internally in the proxy service, and this library doesn't support
> WebDAV extension methods so you'd still be out of luck with WebDAV
> integration there as well.
>
> Best,
> Seth

Agreed, but one caution: Implementing things from scratch on top of flash.net.Socket may be an option for some limited use cases, but without the direct browser integration it doesn't make for a great general solution (in the case of WebDAV, or for general HTTP)

You lose integrated auth (NTLM for instance), security (SSL/certificate truststore and UI to manage it), state (cookies - whether you love them or hate them), etc. that the Player gets for free when it uses the browser's HTTP stack. This stuff turns out to be pretty valuable in practice.

Best,
Seth